English as a Second Language/improvment

hello amy this is my second email to you   i did my gcse's at school and consider my english to be reasonable in oral, listening and with writing but if i want to be excellant in all  3 categories to a point of great proffessionalism then how do i achieve this   i read newspapers,watch television,and listen to the radio and read all kinds of books aswell as interact with native speakers but is there anything in addition you can add to this that may increase my literacy potential to such greater heights particularly in speaking intelligly like a university lecturer aswell  as  writing to the point of novellistic excellance   please advise thankyou youre the best  dillon

hello Dillon

and once again thanks for your question.

I am not familiar with the GCSE - I am in the US and I think our educational systems are somewhat different. We might have some similar tests but they are called something else - this is not the point here though.

It looks to me like you're doing all the right things in order to improve your English. Again, from my experience, it takes time, perseverance and dedication for any non-native English speaker to reach the level of proficiency you are aiming for.

As you well know there are 4 aspects you need to work on - reading, writing, listening and speaking. It might help you identify your stronger vs weaker areas and then working on improving your weaker points.

I can add a few ideas to the list of things you're already doing: listening to university lectures in your area of interest(there are websites that offer free access to such lectures - the handiest one is probably youtube), also, taking university level classes(there are some websites that offer free open access to such classes - I can suggest some if you're interested) and actively completing the coursework associated with them. Another idea: try to challenge yourself and take one of the ESL tests like the TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge examination and see how you score just to have a baseline for now and then retake the same test in a year or so in order to be able to monitor your progress. You may also want to become familiar with the idioms and regionalisms specific to your area and your age group, and the most important of all practice, practice, practice, practice some more.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Best of luck!  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed