English as a Second Language/To be married vs to get married

Question
Dear Shannon.

What is the difference in meaning between this pair of sentences:

She was married to a teacher.
She got married to a teacher.

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannou

Answer
The difference is in #1, the bride is no longer married (either now she is divorced or either she or her husband died) and in #2, it just talks about the fact that she married someone.  This form is usually preferred to talk about actions in the recent past (if we add "just" before got, it is the very recent past).  Perhaps she married last week, for example.  Alternatively, one could use it while telling a story that happened further in the past ("When she was 15, the television had just been invented.  She wanted to marry a famous actor she saw on a TV show, but four years later, she got married to a teacher from the local village instead.")

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole