English as a Second Language/The definite article

Question
Hello!
I have been trying hard to find definite rules for the use of the definite article before common and proper nouns but until now I have not been successful.

Examples,
(1) Is it grammatically correct to say "the singer Fairuz"? (she is the most famous Lebanese singer).

(2) Which is grammatically correct and why?

a. "Chess inside" magazine, the "Chess Inside" magazine, or the magazine "Chess Inside"?
b. The pop singer Elvis Prestly or pop singer Elvis Presetly.
c. Ancient Egypt or the ancient Egyypt.
d. "The New York Times" newspaper, or the newspaper "The New York Times".
e. I am the teacher Antoine Ghannoum or I am teacher Antoine Ghannoum.

Lastly, they say "the prophet Muhammmad" the Apostle Paul, whereas President Obama????

The British Prime Minister John or British Prime Minister John - which is correct and why?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Hello, Antoine,

Before I start my response proper, I need to say that there is a great deal of flexibility in the way native speakers use articles. The 'rules' are not nearly as rigid as some style guides suggest. My response is from a teacher and a native speaker of British English, but that does not mean it is the only absolutely correct answer.

You also need to realise that we need more context to give a really satisfactory answer.

1. All of the following are grammatically correct and natural:

I. Fairuz, the famous Lebanese singer, will be appearing at the X Theatre in London next week.
II. The famous Lebanese singer Fairuz will be appearing at the X Theatre in London next week.

In the first two sentences, the definite article clearly defines Fairuz, who may be unknown to the readers/listeners.

III. All the performers received a warm reception, especially the singer, Fairuz.
IV. All the performers received a warm reception, especially Fairuz, the singer.

In the third and fourth sentences, the definite article defines Fairuz as being the one performer who was a singer.

V. The singer Fairuz yesterday paid her own tribute to the actor X, who died two days ago in New York.

In the fifth sentence, the writer/speaker is perhaps suggesting that Fairuz is a well-known performer, but some of the readers/listeners may need reminding that it is as a singer that she is well known, In news reports, the definite articles may be omitted. Job titles are increasingly being treated in news reports in the same way as, for example, ministerial and military titles and ranks, though without the capitalisation: Queen Elizabeth II, President Obama, Colonel Blimp, singer Fairuz.

2. Once again, context is important, and there may be acceptable alternatives to the sentences I give below:

The first and third are fine. The second is possible in some contexts, but it would be safer not to use it.

Both are possible; see my response to 1.V, above. Note that his surname is 'Presley'.  

c. Ancient Egypt or the ancient Egypt.

The first is always correct, except in such contexts as 'The ancient Egypt that Professor Curton described in his 1987 lectures was a very different one from the one that I had learnt about at Oxford in the 1960s.'

Both are possible. The first is more likely.

The first is possible; the second is very unlikely.  

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb