English as a Second Language/English grammar

Question
Dear sir,I have had a lot of problems in dealing with 'If clause'.I'll explain the situation first so that you can have a better idea about my problem.Suppose that a friend of mine went to a party whereas I couldn't.There can't I say, IF YOU WENT TO THE PARTY, YOU MAY HAVE MET ANN.I feel it must be possible because of its being a real situation. (If the above sentence is right and the answer of my friend is 'yes', Can't I say "IF SHE WAS AT/CAME TO THE PARTY,SHE MUST HAVE TALKED TO YOU AS WELL.').Thank you in advance.

Answer
Dear Buddhi,

Given that your friend went to the party, and that you know that Ann was at the party, you can say any of the following:

"If you went to the party,

you will have met Ann." - You are certain
you must have met Ann." - It is logically certain.
you may have met Ann." - It is possible.

Given that situation, you can also say:

If she was at (/went to) the party,

she will have talked to you." - You are certain
she must have talked to you." - It is logically certain.
she may have talked to you." - It is possible.

In all of these sentences, the if-clause is referring to a situation that is accepted, not to one that is considered merely possible. The context will make this clear.

With best wishes,

Jed  

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb