English as a Second Language/It (singular) with plural nouns

Question
Dear Jed,

Please look into the following:

Quote from English for Starters 7:
"The circus is coming to town! The students at this school are learning circus skills. They do it once a week after school."

We have here a plural antecedent (skills) and then "it" (singular) in the following sentence (of course I think "it" refers to "skills"). Could you please explain this?

Quote from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:
"Though 'illness' and 'disease' are often used alike, 'illness' is really a state, or length of time, of being unwell, which may be caused by a disease. It is diseases that can be caught and passed on if they are infectious ...."

Here we have "it" (singular) used with "diseases" (plural), which is clear from the use of "they" is the following clause.
Could you also explain this?

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Dear Antoine,

The antecedent of 'it' in your first sentence is the verb phrase 'learning circus skills'. This (learning circus skills) is what they do once a week.

In your second sentence, (it is)diseases that are/can be caught and (are/can be) passed on if they (the diseases) are infectious ... .

Compare:

It is John who is acting in the school play.
It is John and Peter who are acting in the school play.

I shall not go into more detail about the 'It + BE + noun/pronoun who/which/that/Ø ...' cleft construction, because grammarians do not agree on how it should be analysed. If you use it, remember that 'it' is always followed by a singular form of BE; the relative pronoun is followed by a verb in the person of its antecedent, the noun or pronoun following BE.

If you wish to read what some grammarians think about this, try:

Calude, Andreea S (2009), 'Cleft Constructions in Spoken English', Berlin: VDM
Collins, P (1991), 'Cleft and pseudo-cleft constructions in English', London: Routledge
Huddleston, Rodney and Pullum, Geoffrey (2002), 'The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language', Cambridge: CUP
Quirk, Randolph et al (1985), 'A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, London: Longman

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jed

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb