English as a Second Language/research question

QUESTION: Dear professor
i have question: would you please define the following terms for me, "knowlege", "science", "theory", and "hypothesis"?

Y. Salehi

ANSWER: Dear Y Salehi,

knowledge: familiarity with something or someone

science: study of phenomena, knowledge gained by observing and experimenting

theory: set of principles or statements elaborated in order to explain certain facts or phenomena

hypothesis: educated guess or suggested explanation for an observation or a problem that can and should be further tested or investigated

For what it's worth, I'd actually suggest a dictionary for more accurate definitions.

Also, please let me know if that answered your question, and feel free to follow up if you require further clarifications.

All the best,

PS - with your permission, I'd prefer that any further questions I may receive from you to be public ones. Others might have similar questions and making the questions and answers public will reach a larger audience. This is after all one of the main reasons for this website - for us, volunteers to help as many people as possible. I hope you agree with me. If not, I will respect your decision. Thank you!

QUESTION: Dear professor
is it possible to give me more information about these terms?
i completely agree that the question would be a public question.
regards and many thanks

ANSWER: Dear Y Salehi,

What exactly do you mean by more information?
Dictionary definitions? Sample sentences using those words?

Please be more specific so I can better assist you with this issue.

Also, for the record, I am not a professor, please call me Amy; and I will make this q & a session public once I will actually answer the question.

you know i want to know about the difference between science and knowledge and theory and hypothesis?? Are they different? if yes, how?

Hello again,

I'll have to stick to my original answer.

If those definitions I provided with are not satisfactory (they're of the top of my head), then I would suggest some online dictionaries:

these are a couple of sites that come to mind right now.

Yes, those 4 terms are very different, and I believe that if you would refer to any of the dictionaries I suggested, or even to the ad-hoc definitions I have gave you initially, you should be able to tell the differences.

I hope this helps,

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed