English as a Second Language/Grammar

Question
Dear Shannon,

I hope you are doing well!

Is it correct to use "is" in this sentence "There is more than one million cars in that country." I am in doubt although I know than the phrase "more than one" strangely takes a singular verb.

Second, I know that the verb after 'stop' must be take '-ing' (stop working) or noun (stop the fighting) but I am in doubt whether this sentence is correct "I will stop work on the computer." , especially that "the" is not used.

Thanks for your continuous guideline.

Yours sincerely,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
In the first case, I would say "There are more than one million..." because you aren't describing one thing, you are describing 1,000,000 things :)

In the second case, there is an interesting fact.  If you stop working on the computer, it means you are not going to continue typing, etc. on the computer.  But if you stop work on the computer, the focus is on "the work" or project that you are currently doing.  So, you might see a sentence such as: "They will begin work (that is, construction) on the road next week." or "We will resume work (that is, continue our task and progress) on this project this Friday."  

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole