English as a Second Language/Verb forms

Question
Are the following sentences equally acceptable?

a) The hostages were murdered by their captors before they could be rescued.
b) The hostages were murdered by their captors before they were be rescued.
c) The hostages were murdered by their captors before being rescued.

My guess is that a) is perfectly acceptable, but b) is a little odd.  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Grammatically they are all correct.

However, C is nonsensical as it means the hostages were murdered AND THEN they were rescued. (you can't rescue someone who is already murdered)

A means that whether or not the captors were going to be rescued is uncertain, but it is/was possible that they were going to be rescued.

B means that the captors were CERTAINLY going to be rescued, but they were murdered, so in the end they were not rescued.

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly