English as a Second Language/won't work vs isn't working

Question
Dear Mr Cole,

1. My cell phone isn't working.
2. My cell phone won't work.

In daily conversation,is there any difference in the above sentences? Would be obligied if you could give me some examples.

Thanks for your help.

Answer
They are really the same, but in conversation there could be a small difference.

"My cell phone isn't working" is usually used more when there is a temporary problem with your phone.

"My cell phone won't work" usually implies that your phone has a more permanent problem.

Other examples:

My air conditioner isn't cooling the room.  (Why not?  Do you have the right setting?)
My air conditioner won't cool the room.  (You need a new air conditioner or get a repairman.)

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole