English as a Second Language/working in exclusion

Question
Hi Shannon,
can you please help here?
I want the meaning of "working in exclusion".

I have, for some time now, been dreaming of an art community with more interaction among people from different backgrounds, professions, and persuasions. There is no way that this synergy could not result in better understanding, not only of art, but also of the other disciplines. Something similar to this was enacted at the last Gwangju Biennale where we, the artists, were
paired with viewer-participants. There were very innovative results in some of the pairings. I am thinking here of something more long-lasting, more intimate but informal. The emphasis is on the various disciplines, and not on working in exclusion.

I guess it means: working alone, individually.

Answer
This is what I understand: it's a tie in to his first sentence.  This person wants an art community that consists not only artists, but those who do other professions, who had studied a very different area in school, etc.  He wants to include those people as he designs and develops his art, and not just create something on his own (nor does he want just artists to collaborate as a group...he would like them to expand their way of working to include others outside the field).

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole