English as a Second Language/each and every

Question
QUESTION: Hello.i get confused while using each and every.can you pleaae explan the difference?

ANSWER: Hello, Anabell,

"Each" singles out separate items, one by one; while "every" includes them, grouping them together. For instance, if I say "each star in the sky," I am considering them one by one. If I say "every star in the sky", I am considering them collectively--as a group. I have read that "each" applies more to people, and "every" to other things, but I don't think that's true.

You may find http://www.englishforums.com/English/DifferenceBetweenEachEvery/hpjlk/post.htm helpful. Even experts seem to have difficulty stating a hard and fast rule about how to use the two words, and what is is difference (very small) between them. Some things seems to be learned more easily by reading and listening, and absorbing how the words are used, and their 'collocation'--that is the words they are used alongside.

Do read as much as possible, and/or use the 'read aloud' function on something like Adobe Reader to help you get used to the feeling of the words as they are used in the language by native speakers. The Kindle reader is a wonderful help with that, and if you don't have a Kindle device, Amazon.com has a free software you can download, along with many free books you can use for listening.

I wish I could explain this more clearly, but I hope I have been able to help a little, at least.

QUESTION: Thank you so much.i also have confusions regarding on and upon,over and above.would be grateful for the guidance.

Answer
Hello!

"On" and "upon" are very close synonyms, with very subtle differences. They can be used almost interchangeably. A good discussion of them can be found at http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-on-and-vs-upon/.

As to "above" and "over", take a look at http://www.learnersdictionary.com/blog.php?action=ViewBlogArticle&ba_id=96.

I hope this helps.

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC