English as a Second Language/Correct proposition for the dates

Hi! Shannon,

I am learning English grammartically.  Now I have a question regarding the proposition to place before the dates which I usually write is on April 21-28, 2013.  But I have a doubt that whether I need to use from April 21 to 28, 2013 or what else I can use?  Kindly respond to my question.  Thank you very much.

Hi Goldie,

Typically you are correct if you have only one or two dates.  However, for a range of dates, the preferred method is to use "from" (the dash symbol means "to" in this case) or no preposition at all (the dash is "through").  Therefore, you might see:

The event will be held from April 21-28.  "The event will be held from April 21st to the 28th."
The event will be held April 21-28. "The event will be held April 21st through the 28th."

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole

I can answer questions related to learning the English and Spanish language.

I have taught ESL and Spanish since 1998 at the university and middle school levels. I am a native of the U.S., and have taught in both the U.S. and Mexico.

I am owner and operator of, an online language school.

Georgia TESOL in Action (1999)

B.A. in Spanish; M.Ed. in Language Education

I have clients worldwide, some who want their documents proofread, and others who take lessons with me through the Internet. Some work at high-profile companies and government organizations. Besides the U.S. and Mexico, my recent students come from South Korea, Switzerland, Turkey, Colombia, Russia, Italy, Paraguay, China, Japan, the Philippines, and Saudi Arabia.