English as a Second Language/Correct proposition for the dates

Question
Hi! Shannon,

I am learning English grammartically.  Now I have a question regarding the proposition to place before the dates which I usually write is on April 21-28, 2013.  But I have a doubt that whether I need to use from April 21 to 28, 2013 or what else I can use?  Kindly respond to my question.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Goldie

Answer
Hi Goldie,

Typically you are correct if you have only one or two dates.  However, for a range of dates, the preferred method is to use "from" (the dash symbol means "to" in this case) or no preposition at all (the dash is "through").  Therefore, you might see:

The event will be held from April 21-28.  "The event will be held from April 21st to the 28th."
The event will be held April 21-28. "The event will be held April 21st through the 28th."

Shannon

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole