English as a Second Language/Different

Question
QUESTION: Dear Shannon,

Which sentence is correct and why?
- I want to be a doctor in the future.
- I want to become a doctor in the future.

Suppose I am a still student, I do not have a job, and I take my pocket money from my father. So can I say "My father spends on me". Is this sentence correct?

"Pigeons have sometimes bee used to smuggle diamonds illegally out of South Africa". I read it in the book "English for Starters 10" but I think the word "illegally" is redundant because "smuggle" means "to take things or people to or from a place secretly and often illegally". Please enlighten me.

Thanks for your guidelines.

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: 1. Both are correct and interchangeable.

2. It's correct, although typically we would say, "My father gives me an allowance" to be more clear.

3. It is redundant.  However in colloquial English, we often find redundancies such as this.  It is best not to use redundant words.

Shannon

QUESTION: Dear Shannon
Thank you very much indeed for your guidelines.
Just for "be" and "become", although they are interchangeable (as you say) but I think it is good to say "he is studying to be a doctor" and when he finishes his studies, to say "he has become a doctor". What is your point of view?
fond regards,

Answer
That is true because in those cases, you are using a little more context.  In those particular examples, you can certainly think of "be" as the linking verb in making a simple description (such as, "He is a doctor.")  If we contrast this to "become," we see the focus is on the process: He has been a doctor for eight years vs. He graduated last year and has become a doctor.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole