English as a Second Language/English Parts of Speech

Question
Hi Amy,

How are you? Could you please help me out with this problem?
Example sentence: I know how to make your music loud.

My question is about the word loud: is it an adjective or an adverb?
If this is an adjective then what does it describes, the phrase ‘your music’? If so, how is it possible the adjective behind the noun? Is it an exception?

If this is an adverb then what does it modifies?

I have my own thoughts the word ‘loud’ is an adverb in that sentence and it modifies the other adverb, but I don’t like my thoughts. Here is an example from a book: "Charles, I know you like your music loud." It's pretty much the same example and there is no other adverb to modify! It’s funny, huh … then ‘loud’ is an adjective, but how does it work?

You are my rescue, Amy. :)

Best wishes,

Alex

Answer
Amy to the rescue ... I hope ;)

Loud is an adjective in both examples. It describes the noun music.

It's possible - in English - for the adjective to follow the noun. I know the rule says adjective comes before yet there is something called a post positive adjective where the adjective follows the noun rather than preceding it. For ex: best choice possible, attorney general, (see the) list below, longest sentence immaginable, and so on.

Not sure I follow you when you say "the word ‘loud’ is an adverb in that sentence and it modifies the other adverb"?!

Please let me know if this answers your question. If not, feel free to follow up.

Best,

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker