English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Shannon,
Hope all is well with you.

Can you please tell me which of my reads is correct?

Berniniís chapel shows as viewers the family of the patron as well as visitors to the church.

My reads:
1. Berniniís chapel shows the family of the patron as viewers as well as visitors to the church.
2. Berniniís chapel shows both the family of the patron as well as visitors to the church as viewers.

Thanks

Answer
Difficult to determine...  Did the author use any commas, because as it is written, it seems grammatically incorrect.  To me, the only way this makes sense is as follows:

Bernini's chapel shows, as viewers, the family of the patron as well as visitors to the church.

This still isn't the best sentence in the world, but if this is the intention, then interpretation #1 would be correct.  However, I think there is an error.

Maybe he meant "shows us viewers."  This would make much better sense.  Could you double check the sentence?

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole