English as a Second Language/word choices

Question
1.
The housing prices in Taipei are soaring because the demand continues to increase.

Can I also say, “ because demands continue to increase…”?

2.
A: What do we do to increase our social contact?
B: We improve our social contact by blogging, watching news, writing letters or emails, attending social events and chatting with friends on Facebook,

Does the conversation make sense? Can I use the plural form “social contacts”?

3.
He is thought as a murder, but he has nothing to be afraid of, because he has a clear conscience.

Should I say “thought to be a murder” or “thought of as a murder”?

4.
According to Chinese tradition, the dragon is highly regarded.

What is a good substitute for “highly regarded”?  “highly respectable” or “highly respected”?

5.
Today, people seem to emphasize more on the acquisition of material things rather than on family harmony.

Would it be better if I said “emphasize more on material acquisitions rather than on family harmony.”?

6.
In some European countries, private charity organizations raise money to help elderly people who are in difficulties.

Would it sound better if I said “private charities” and “elderly people with difficulties”?

7.
Poor communication causes a gap between parents and children in the family and shakes the foundations of our society.

Would it sound better if rewrote the sentence to read: poor communication causes a gap (in family relationships) and shakes the (foundation) of our society?

Answer
Hi Oppo,

lots of questions, I better get to work. :)

1.

Can I also say, “ because demands continue to increase…”? No, there is only one demand, that for houses.

2.
B: We improve our social contact by blogging, watching news, writing letters or emails, attending social events and chatting with friends on Facebook.

You should actually be using 'social contacts'

3.

I'd say: He thought of his actions to be similar to a crime, but he has nothing to be afraid of because he has a clear conscience. (even though I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say).
Murder is mostly used to describe the act of killing a person, crime is more general and it means any action that is against the law.

4.

What is a good substitute for “highly regarded”?  “highly respectable” or “highly respected”? Highly respected.

5.

Would it be better if I said “emphasize more on material acquisitions rather than on family harmony.”? Both are acceptable ways of saying that.

6.

Would it sound better if I said “private charities” and “elderly people with difficulties”? Yes.

7.

Yes if you leave the words in () in place:
Poor communications causes a gap (gaps) in family relationships and shakes the foundation of our society.

One more set of questions to go.

Best,
Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker