English as a Second Language/Passive voice

Question
Dear Shannon

I read this sentence in one of the English grammar lessons on the You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHt2aqzUtYI)

"The thief was gone by the time I called the police."

In my opinion, the teacher has make a mistake - "was gone" is wrong and it has to be "had gone".

Your guideline, please!

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Nope, not necessarily!  You can also use the participle (in this case, "gone") after a linking verb to use as a simple adjective!  For some reason, this doesn't work for "arrived" (we would say "was here" instead), but it is completely acceptable to say "was gone."  If you wanted to say "had gone," this is also correct, but it is a different use -- the past perfect (although the meanings are similar).  

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole