English as a Second Language/arranged to have her dealer pay to run

Question
QUESTION: Hi Shannon,
Hope all is well with you.

Can you please tell me what is the meaning of this sentence?
"In 1974, the artist Lynda Benglis arranged to have her dealer pay to run".

Many thanks.

ANSWER: It's a little difficult (at the least the part "pay to run.")  I would assume she means her art dealer, which would mean a type of agent that helps sell her works to art galleries.  If that is true, then "run" probably means "run an exhibition of her work."  Therefore, it means that she insisted that her dealer pay to allow her exhibition to take place.  Considering how many people considered her 1974 work controversial, it is easy to see why she might have needed to do this -- many places would have refused to have done so.

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. Here is the complete text:

And in 1974,the artist Lynda Benglis arranged to have her dealer pay to run, as advertisements in separate issues of Artforum, four photographs of herself in poses and dress that suggested a range of gendered and sexual stereotypes.

Answer
OK, that makes more sense, especially in light of what I found about the artist.  She wanted her dealer to use the four photographs of herself and turn them into advertisements (called "publicity" in other languages, but this doesn't work in English) in the Artforum magazine.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole