English as a Second Language/Different

Question
QUESTION: Dear Shannon,

I do cannot figure out how this sentence is formed/structured - "what do you think happens to John?". Especially the way the verb 'happen' comes after 'think' without a subject before it.

On the other hand, can the verb 'explain' be followed by 'about'? (The guide was explaining about the archaeological site).

Thanks and best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Yes, both are acceptable.

What do you think happens to John?
This is a shortened form of saying:
What will happen to John in your opinion?

When we use 'about' after explain, it is optional.  However, in other situations, it is not optional "talking about, telling about, etc."

QUESTION: Could you please elaborate on the first part of the question? I did not get the point. Thank you!

Answer
If we deconstruct the question into a simple sentence:

You do think what happens to John.  (using the same words - of course this doesn't make sense)
You think something happens to John.  (standardized)

Now if we analyze the sentence, we see that "you" is the subject of "think", "something" is the object and the next phrase has the verb "happens" that connects to "something."

The word "what" is actually a placeholder (pronoun) for a noun, but is often forgotten in forming questions.

What happens to John?
What do we believe happens to John?
Which kind of pizza do they recommend ordering from the restaurant?

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole