English as a Second Language/English

Question
Peace!
What is the purpose/reason for writing "Heav'n" instead of "Heaven"?

Answer
Yo!

Interesting question.  Quite simply, it's to colloquially represent the unstressed syllable.  Very often, certain syllables in English make one sound if stressed and another if unstressed.  Heaven is an example of that: the second syllabe, if pronounced with a stress would be "v-eh-n", but it is unstressed, so the vowel makes the "schwa" sound, which sounds more like "v-uh-n".  To depict that in written English, the "e" is eliminated from the word and replaced with an apostrophe.

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly