English as a Second Language/greeting

Question
I am an international student in the US from Asia. People sometimes greet me with expression I don't understand, such as:

What's up?
What's new?
How's it going?

How can I respond?

Answer
What's up?  (What is happening in your life).
Typical response:  Not much/Not a lot, what's up with you?

What's new?  (What has happened new to you since the last time we spoke)?
Typical response: Same as above.  If you really have something new to share, do so briefly, such as "I bought a new car!"  "I have a cavity." etc.

How's it going?  (How is life treating you/How are you doing)
Typical response: Pretty good.  Great!  (we wouldn't say bad.  If there's a problem, say "OK," "alright," "so-so.")

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole