English as a Second Language/Present continuous tense

Question
Dear Shannon,

Sorry for my continuous disturbance!

Again! From Englihs for Starters 9

Quote
A day in the life of a news paper reporter
1-First, I check my email and phone messages. I'm usually working on a story for the next day's newspaper, so I have to make sure I meet the deadline for that...
Unquote

I am surprised by the use of the present continuous tense because I think it is wrongly used here. The sentence must read "I usually work on ..."

What is your point of view?

Fond regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
There can be overlap between the use of certain tenses.  In this case, the present continuous is more appropriate because the writer is discussing what would normally be ongoing/in progress at a very specific time of the day.  If we used the simple present here, we wouldn't have any clear indication of a starting or stopping point of his action.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole