English as a Second Language/Too

Question
Dear Shannon,

Why is "it is too hot a day to work" correct, whereas "It is too hot weather" is incorrect? really I don't know. The Longman dictionary does not tell the reason.

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Sometimes "it" doesn't have a proper antecedent.

You can say "It is too hot (of) a day to work." (or "It is too hot today to work.")
but
You can't say "It is too hot weather today to work."

We also can't say, "It is too hot weather."
Instead...
You can say, "It is too hot."
or
"The weather is too hot."

The assumption with using "it" with no antecedent is that we're going into the deep structure of the language with the word "weather" (which is the actual thing causing the heat).  Once you include "weather" in the sentence, it should be used as the subject.  Without using the word "weather" directly in the sentence, we are forced to use the antecendent-less "it" to show that in the language's deep structure, we are assuming that by using "it," we are talking about the weather.

See: http://russianmentor.net/casegram/part2.htm

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole