English as a Second Language/Sequence of tenses

Question
Dear Shannon,

Please note the following sentences:

"Galen studied how blood moves round the body." (studied: past; moves: present. Here, I checked a grammar book which says that we can use a present tense to express a fact. But what if I say "moved" instead of "moves, will it stop expressing a fact?

He said, "If I make a mistake, there could be an explosion." (make: present; could: past). Why "could" and not "can"?

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
1. I think that would be ok, but typically the idea is that blood still moves around people's bodies, so it is something that happens in the present, too.  Now if the fact happened in the past (The forensic specialist examined how the victim was shot), you would use the past tense in all cases.

2. It expresses possibility, not ability.  http://www.onestopenglish.com/support/ask-the-experts/grammar-questions/grammar-

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole