English as a Second Language/Singular subject and verb but plural noun

Question
Dear Shannon,

Would you please explain the use of singular subjects and verbs with plural nouns?

1. It is the school holidays.
2. It is diseases that can be caught and passed on if they are infectious.

In sentence 2, it is clear that the subject is plural as clear from the use of "they are".

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
I can't think we would normally do that in English, unless "it" somehow refers to some singular subject in a prior sentence...and I can't really think of a good example in this case.  Unfortunately, it's early in the morning here, and I can't think of some alternative examples with mixed subject/verb agreement either (but again, those would also likely have to do with the antecedent being in a previous sentence).

So, as far as I can tell, you should write:

"They are school holidays."
"They are diseases that can be caught and passed on if they are infectious."

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectverbagree.asp

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole