English as a Second Language/Still another follow-up question

Question
QUESTION: "A scholar would make a better teacher than make a diplomat."
It can be rephrased as "a scholar would make a better teacher than a diplomat", correct?

"A scholar would make a better teacher than a diplomat would make a teacher."
It should not be rephrased lest the meaning be distorted, correct?

Does it sound incorrect to say "make a diplomat" and "make a teacher"? Should we avoid saying so?

ANSWER: Matthew,

let me try this again...

"A scholar would make a better teacher than make a diplomat." is incorrect to begin with.

It can be rephrased as "a scholar would make a better teacher than a diplomat", correct? No, since the original sentence is not correct, and by rephrasing it you're only making things more confusing.

It should not be rephrased lest the meaning be distorted, correct? Yes, you're correct.
No matter how you try to rephrase the original sentence, if you insist on using elliptical constructions here, the end result will be a confusing/incorrect statement (like the ones above).

Does it sound incorrect to say "make a diplomat" and "make a teacher"? No.
Should we avoid saying so? No.

I hope this is both clear and concise :)

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,

QUESTION: Peter deals with John presently as Mary dealt with Jane previously.
-->Peter deals with John presently as Mary, with Jane previously.
The tenses are different, it is correct to say so?

Answer
Matthew,

to the best of my knowledge, in order for you to be able to use elliptical constructions, the verb tenses in the two sentences have to be identical.

With this in mind, I'd have to say that the sentence you're asking about is incorrect.

For further info, please refer to the links I have sent you in my previous answer.

Best regards,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker