English as a Second Language/Grammar

Question
Hi! I am Ali Ahmadian and an English teacher. Would you please help me to find the answer to the following question:
Whereas some people visit their doctor once every few weeks, …………………. .
1) some see their doctors in their offices
2) others may visit a doctor once a month
3) others may not visit a doctor for many years
4) some never see their doctors in their offices

Thanks a lot.

Answer
Hi, Ali

'Whereas' suggests a contrast, so #1 is not possible, unless "see their doctors in their offices" means that the doctors come to the people's offices. This is not a usual arrangement, but it's just about possible, I suppose. I very much doubt that the writer of the question had this in mind. Whatever the writer had in mind, this option is poorly worded for a question of this type.

#2 is not likely in British English, because we see doctors in their surgeries or consulting rooms, not their offices. Even if 'offices' were acceptable, the contrast between 'every few weeks' and once a month' is not really strong enough to use 'whereas'.

#3 is fine.

#4 is not possible in British English for the reason I gave with #2.

Best wishes,

Jed

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb