English as a Second Language/The: indicating 'common ground'

Question
Hello again Amy

I read the following from a book relating to 'Article':

The: indicating 'common ground'

We use 'the' to signal to readers or liseners that they know or will soon know what we are referring to. It triggers the listener or reader to search for the most obvious area of common ground in order to identify this. Context is usually the most important factor in helping us to complete this search successfully.
-----------------------------------------------------
I have difficulty in understanding the meaning of the following sentence especially the 'common ground'

'It triggers the listener or reader to search for the most obvious area of common ground in order to identify this.'

Thank you.

Best Regards,
CH

Answer
CH ,

I have to admit that I have no idea what that entire paragraph is talking about.

I've never read about "the" as an indicator for common ground....

Does that book you have quoted come with any examples that you could share with me? Perhaps the examples (if available) could help me understand what the author has in mind.

Please follow up with me and provide some relevant examples, and I'll give it another try.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker