English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Amy.
Thanks again for your kind answer.
This time, the following sentence was somehow challenging:

It might be fair to say that Malevich’s abstraction sprang, Athena-like, ready formed from the brow of its creator; this distinguishes Malevich’s approach very sharply from that of both Mondrian and Kandinsky, who had sensed and inched their way into abstraction over a period of many years.

I have problem in understanding this part:
Malevich’s abstraction sprang, Athena-like, ready formed from the brow of its creator

Many thanks.
Azad

Answer
Hello again Azad,

Athena was the goddess of wisdom and war and according to one legend she was born - more like she came out ready formed - out of Zeus' forehead/brow.

Here, in your sentence, you're dealing with a metaphor.

Malevich's abstract creation simply came into being in the same way Athena was born. Suddenly and "ready formed".

For what it's worth this is quite a challenging paragraph, and I bet even some native speakers might have a problem interpreting it ;)

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker