English as a Second Language/rather than,,,,

Question
QUESTION: Hi

Hope you are fine. Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Rather than ............ the truth to them, Peter takes pleasure in deceiving the family and receiving credit."

a) breaking
b) to break
c) break

Please always feel free to answer my questions when you have time. I will willingly wait for your great answers.

Thank you
Best

ANSWER: Hi Hame,

(b), the to- infinitive,  is rarely used with 'rather than'; many people would consider it to be incorrect.

As to the other two, I have never been able to find a satisfactory answer as to which is supposedly more correct. I am not even certain which one I'd use; both seem fine to me. However, there are far more citations in both the the Corpus of Contemporary American English and the British National Corpus for the -ing form than for the bare infinitive, so that's the one I suggest you go with.

Incidentally, I find your sentence rather unnatural. We break the bad news to people, but we don't normally break the truth. The 'and receiving credit' at the end makes little sense to me without more context.

Jed

QUESTION: Thanks. Please give me some more examples with RATHER THAN in which a verb has come after RATHER THAN.

Thanks

ANSWER: Hi, Hame,

You'll find quite a few here: http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=rather+than+&l=0&sugg=off

As these are sentences that have actually been written by others, you'll get a better idea of the range of possibilities than if I just compose some for you. Only some of these have 'after than' followed by a verb, but you'll be able to pick them out quite easily.

Best wishes,

Jed

QUESTION: I am really confused now. I look at the examples. They confuse the reader. I wonder whether to use an  -ing form or the bare infinitive after RATHER THAN.

Thanks

Answer
As I have suggested before, there isn't a clear difference. It usually won't matter which you put. If one form is essential in another part of the sentence, I tend to stick with that, particularly if both verb forms are part of an auxiliary + verb form construction:

"She spends her time drinking rather than looking after the children."
"She will resign rather than put up with that."

I really would not worry too much about this.  

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb