English as a Second Language/A, any, or some

Question
Dear Jed,

Text from English for Starters 7 with the key provided in the Teacher's Book:

"Salah and Omar are camping in the desert. But have they got all they need? They've got (1) a tent, (2) some fuel and (3) some matches. But they haven't got (4) a camping stove. Omar has got sunburn but they haven't got (5) an sun cream. They've got (6) a map but they haven't got (7) a compass.
They are thirsty but they haven't got (8) any water. They've got (9) some food but they haven't got (10) a can opener."

I wonder why the key does not provide an option to use "a" or "any" in 4, 7, and 10 because "any" is used with negative sentences.

The longman dictionary says "<nonassertive> infml a,an, or one: This car hasn't any engine!" So, it is possible to use "any" with singular countable nouns. Pratical English Usage by Michael Swan says "some and any are used with uncountable and plural nouns. They have the same sort of meaning as the indefinite article a/an."

Please help me out.

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Dear Antoine,

For (4), 'any' is just about possible if you wish to emphasise how strange the lack of camping stove is, but most native speakers would use 'a' there. Bear in mind that this exercise seems to be designed for students at a fairly elementary stage. It would be confusing for them to be expected to understand the finer nuances at this stage.

In (5), the determiner should be 'any'.

The situation in (7) and (10) is very similar to that in (4). Most native speakers would naturally use 'a'. Swan's advice is sound.

Best wishes,

Jed  

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb