English as a Second Language/Ambiguity

Question
Hi Amy

Reword this for me please:
To his credit, Tim did not see my proposal for the expanded dialogue
as an intrusion on Treasury's turf-turf, of course, being a precious Washington commodity.

This is the full context:
Tim had extensive experience in Asia and even spoke a little Mandarin, malting him an ideal partner in our engagement with China. To his credit, Tim did not see my proposal for the expanded dialogue as an intrusion on Treasury's turf-turf, of course, being a precious Washington commodity. He saw it as I did: as a chance to combine our departments' strengths, especially at a time when the global financial crisis was blurring the line between economics and security more than ever. If the Chinese agreed, Tim and I would chair the new combined dialogue together.

Thank you,

Best,

Hossein Saeedi

Answer
Hi Hossein,

Here's my interpretation of the sentence: "To his credit, Tim did not see my proposal for the expanded dialogue as an intrusion on Treasury's turf-turf, of course, being a precious Washington commodity."

Tom was wise enough and he did not see Hillary's proposal for more dialogue as an intrusion on the Treasury's "territory", the territory, of course being a valuable thing in Washington.

By "territory" here Hillary means area of knowledge, activity, or experience.

I am assuming that "turf - turf" is written like I did, with spaces between the words and the dash, otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I somehow did not get an email notifying me of the question. (It has happened a few times in the past).

Best.

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker