English as a Second Language/Ambiguity

Hello Amy,

Would you please tell me what does pointed greeting mean here ? "That was a rather pointed greeting, but he was right about our intentions."

ASEAN Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan met me with a bouquet of yellow roses and explained that Indonesians consider the color yellow a symbol or hope and new beginnings."Your visit shows the seriousness of the United States to end its diplomatic absenteeism in the the region." That was a rather pointed greeting, but he was right about our intentions.

Hi Hossein,

pointed here means having/emphasizing a point.

I'm thinking the point the Secretary General Surin Pitsuwan was trying to make was that the US were serious about ending the diplomatic absenteeism in the region.

So "pointed greeting" is a greeting with a point/purpose.

I hope this helps.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed