English as a Second Language/Need a comment on my motivation letter

Question
Hey Amy
My name is Michael and what a lovely day huh!
I am glad to have found you here on allexperts.com. You have helped me out a while ago with my personal statement. Thanks Amy you were very cooperative and knew what youíre doing. And this time around I am applying for a masterís degree in project management in Norway. The hardest part of the application is coming up with a fantastic motivation letter. I tried my best to craft a good motivation letter. It would mean the world to me if you take some of your precious time to review and comment on my motivation letter.
Thanks a million
Here goes my motivation letter.

Dear Sirs, Madams;

I am highly motivated to apply for the masterís program at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Project Management. I graduated on July 2013 from Addis Ababa University and hold a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering. My academic performance at Addis Ababa University, which is the most renowned university in the country, was evidenced by receiving an outstanding academic achievement certificate and being one of the 30 top ranking students in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering.

Graduation marked the beginning of a new chapter in my career. I worked as an assistant lecturer for six months at Debre Berhan University, assisting in scholarly research and advancement of knowledge. I also gave demonstration, laboratory and tutorial classes. I improved my leadership skills by courageously taking responsibilities and developing good work ethic. After settling financial obligations to my university, I applied for a junior engineer job post at the Ethiopian Roads Authority. Having passed the entrance exam with flying colors, I was assigned to work as a junior road asset manager in the road asset management department. Working on different road maintenance projects, I learned how important it is to acquire project management skills to oversee all elements of my projects.

Four years ago, when I was in college, a renowned project manager who runs the building of the largest hydropower dam in East Africa gave an impressive speech on television. His integrity, enthusiasm, and good communication skills sparked something in me. It was then that he piqued my interest to consider Project Management as my career. I envisaged myself overseeing large projects managing people, resources, and time effectively and efficiently. During my internship, the contractor I was working for employed me to be a junior site inspector. He always came up with daunting tasks and the long list of chores I had to do overwhelmed me. I had to review blueprints, carry out regular inspection on the construction site and prepare daily reports. As much as I wanted to avoid the hard work, I enjoyed the skills I acquired in the process.

This masterís program in Project Management would be valuable to me in several ways. First, what better way to gain the necessary skills to become a project manager than to pursue a masterís degree in Project Management? Further, it would be a great opportunity for me to study a degree backed by cutting-edge research which would help me put project management theory into real practice. Should I join NTNU, I would like to study an internationally recognized way of approaching and dealing with projects. This will definitely give me the edge to be a competitive project manager worldwide. I believe that this masterís program will teach me how to structure my work appropriately and in a way that is internationally recognized by other project managers. I am certain that this program will eventually boost my confidence and make me feel more professional and increase my chances of landing a wonderful job as a project manager.

Now that we live in a globalized world, anything is possible. Life is replete with opportunities and I believe that by combining education, experience and certificate, I will be competitive enough to manage and oversee grand projects anywhere in the world. After the successful completion of my studies, I see myself working on different projects all around the world. I want to run massive and economically important projects.

There are a multitude of reasons why I chose NTNU for my postgraduate study. To begin with, NTNU holds a prominent position when it comes to providing high quality education. I am highly aware that so much attention is given for research and development in different areas of study that a great deal of scientific papers and review articles are published every year. Further, NTNUís student community is rich with international students from all over the world comprising more than 11% of the total student population. I would like to be part of this beautifully diverse student community and I am looking forward to exchange cultures, traditions and languages with other international students. Specific to the masterís program, I found out that NTNU provides real-life experience by arranging excursions and visits to other companies and coordinating guest lectures pertinent to Project Management. Participating in these activities would give me a hands-on experience on Project Management; whatís more, I learned that NTNU works in close relation with independent research organizations like SINTEF and The Norwegian Center for Project Management that serve as a link between NTNU and other supporting companies. I hope to benefit from the summer job opportunities created by these organizations and in addition it would help me find some concrete ideas for my masterís thesis based on the real-life problems the companies face.

Overall, I believe that through this most sought-after masterís program, I will discover the most up-to-date knowledge and skills in Project Management.  I also hope to develop necessary behaviors and attitudes to strengthen my core competencies. It is with great delight and hope that I am writing this motivation letter and I have no doubt that you will grant me the opportunity to further my studies in Project Management. I promise that I will maintain the required academic excellence throughout my studies at NTNU.

Answer
Lovely day indeed Michael :)

Thanks for trusting me with your motivation letter. I'll do my best to help you.

Dear Sirs/Madams:

I am highly motivated to apply for the masterís program at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Project Management. I graduated in July 2013 from Addis Ababa University with a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering. My academic performance at Addis Ababa University, the most renowned university in the country, was evidenced by receiving an outstanding academic achievement certificate and by being one of the 30 top ranking students in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering.

Graduation marked the beginning of a new chapter in my life and career. I worked as an assistant lecturer for six months at Debre Berhan University, assisting in scholarly research and the advancement of knowledge. I also gave demonstrations, conducted laboratories and taught tutorial classes. I improved my leadership skills by courageously taking responsibilities and developing a good work ethic. After settling the financial obligations to my university, I applied for a junior engineer job position with the Ethiopian Roads Authority. Having passed the entrance exam with flying colors, I was assigned to work as a junior road asset manager in the road asset management department. Working on different road maintenance projects, I learned how important it is to acquire project management skills to oversee all elements of my projects.

Four years ago, when I was still in college, a renowned project manager who runs the building of the largest hydropower dam in East Africa gave an impressive speech on television. His integrity, enthusiasm, and good communication skills sparked something in me. It was then that he piqued my interest to consider Project Management as my career. I envisioned myself overseeing large projects managing people, resources, and time effectively and efficiently. During my internship, the contractor I was working for employed me to be a junior site inspector. He always came up with daunting tasks and the long list of chores I had to do seemed overwhelming at times. I had to review blueprints, carry out regular inspection on the construction site and prepare daily reports. As much as I wanted to avoid the hard work, I enjoyed the skills I acquired in the process.

This masterís program in Project Management would be valuable to me in several ways. First: what better way to gain the necessary skills to become a project manager than to pursue a masterís degree in Project Management? Further, it would be a great opportunity for me to study a degree backed by cutting-edge research which would help me put project management theory into real practice. Should I join NTNU, I would like to study an internationally recognized way of approaching and dealing with projects. This will definitely give me the edge to be a competitive project manager worldwide. I believe that this masterís program will teach me how to structure my work appropriately and in a way that is internationally recognized by other project managers. I am certain that this program will eventually boost my confidence and make me feel more professional and increase my chances of landing a wonderful job as a project manager.

There are a multitude of reasons why I chose NTNU for my postgraduate study. To begin with, NTNU holds a prominent position when it comes to providing high quality education. I am highly aware that so much attention is given for research and development in different areas of study that a great deal of scientific papers and review articles are published every year. Further, NTNUís student community is rich, international students from all over the world comprising more than 11% of its total student population. I would like to be part of this beautifully diverse student community and I am looking forward to exchange cultures, traditions and languages with other international students. Specific to the masterís program, I found out that NTNU provides real-life experience by arranging excursions and visits to other companies and coordinating guest lectures pertinent to Project Management. Participating in these activities would give me a hands-on experience on Project Management; whatís more, I learned that NTNU works in close relation with independent research organizations like SINTEF and The Norwegian Center for Project Management that serve as a link between NTNU and other supporting companies. I hope to benefit from the summer job opportunities created by these organizations. In addition such jobs would help me find some concrete ideas for my masterís thesis based on the real-life problems the companies face.

Michael, I am IMPRESSED to say the least. They asked for a fantastic motivation letter and you have definitely written one. Kudos! Your written English is amazing, and your professional goals are remarkable.

I hope you get to fulfill your dream of being accepted at NTNU. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you.

Wishing you all the best,

Amy

PS - I did make some minor corrections, but nothing significant really.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker