English as a Second Language/Prepositions

Question
QUESTION: Dear Brian,

What is the correct prepositions in relation to 'tree' and 'bus'?

- There is a bird in/on the tree.
- There is a man in/on the bus.

If both prepositions are correct according to British and American English, will there be a difference in meaning in using 'on' instead of 'in'?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Hi Antione!

Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

The correct sentence constructions are as follows:

- There is a bird in the tree.
- There is a man on the bus.

There is a definite distinction between "in the tree" and "on the tree", to the extent that "on the tree" is probably wrong.

However, while "on the bus" is the most common collocation, technically speaking, "in the bus" would be correct as well, and "on the bus" could mean two distinct things!

Hope that helps!

QUESTION: Thanks for your kind reply!

Would "there is a bird in the tree" mean that the bird in itd nest which is in the tree and "there is a bird on the tree" that the bird is on a branch of the tree?

On the other hand, what would I say if the man is on the roof of the bus? Would "on the bus" be also used to mean this?

Answer
Hi again!

Thanks for the interesting follow up questions.

You are correct in your assessment of "bird in the tree", but a bird on a tree sounds like the bird is positioned specifically at the highest point of the tree, rather than on a branch (which would still be within the tree and all its parts).

Interesting question about the bus!  The first locution that comes to mind is "the man is on TOP OF the bus" or, more specifically "the man is on THE ROOF OF the bus".  Native English speakers wouldn't confuse a man who enters a bus (on the bus) with a man who is on the roof of a bus.  :)

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly