English as a Second Language/Ambiguity

Question
Reword this for me please:
To his credit, Tim did not see my proposal for the expanded dialogue
as an intrusion on Treasury's turf-turf, of course, being a precious Washington commodity.

This is the full context:
Tim had extensive experience in Asia and even spoke a little Mandarin, malting him an ideal partner in our engagement with China. To his credit, Tim did not see my proposal for the expanded dialogue as an intrusion on Treasury's turf-turf, of course, being a precious Washington commodity. He saw it as I did: as a chance to combine our departments' strengths, especially at a time when the global financial crisis was blurring the line between economics and security more than ever. If the Chinese agreed, Tim and I would chair the new combined dialogue together.

Thank you,

Best,

Hossein Saeedi

Answer
Hi Hossein!

That is a bit tricky!  I'd be happy to simplify that for you (even though it means making it a bit longer, sorry about that!).

The Treasury's turf is obviously a precious Washington commodity.  Tim could have seen my proposal for the expanded dialogue as an intrusion on the Treasury's turf.  He did see my proposal that way. I commend his for not seeing my proposal that way.

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly