English as a Second Language/doubtful sentences

Hi Amy....lots of respects and regards and love

Please tell me the meaning of the following sentences

1)what tangent you are getting at
or 2) you are getting at the wrong tangent

Also please tell me is the following sentences are correct.

1)Get up off your chair
2)The bad company affects apparently and unapparently

Amy I request please correct and write the correct sentences.

Hi Dev,

I'm a bit unsure about these sentences, but let me give it a try.

I assume that "tangent" here means a different line of thought or action, or something irrelevant, diverging from the original purpose or course. Now, in my opinion, the fragments you're asking about don't sound correct and since they're totally out of context, I really can't comment on what they might mean as I don't know how to fix them.

We say: The professor went off on a tangent. meaning the professor started talking about something totally irrelevant, that had nothing to do with the original topic

Another example: In the middle of explaining how he chose a medical career, he went off on a tangent about the great weather outside.

The last two sentences:

1) "Get up off your chair". should actually read: "Get up".
You also have the following options:
- for a chair without arms, you should say "Get off your chair".
- if the chair has arms, then you could  say "Get out of your chair".

2. The bad company affects apparently and unapparently - I am sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say here. The sentence is not correct and unless you provide me with more context I'm afraid I won't be able to figure out how to fix it.

I hope this helps to some extent.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed