English as a Second Language/Question

Hi Amy
Let me begin this question with a special thanks to you for your accuracy and proficiency.

I don't understand this:
where it quickly made its way up the chain.

Full context is here:

With Chinese State Security hunting for him, he asked if he could take refuge at the embassy, at least long enough to receive medical attention and devise a new plan. They agreed to relay the request to Washington, where it quickly made its way up the chain. Chen continued to circle the Beijing suburbs in a car, waiting for a response.

Hossein Saeedi

Hello Hossein,

"where it quickly made its way up the chain" means to make a lot of progress in a short time.

Here, it's about Chen's request being brought to the attention of the higher authorities in Washington very quickly, without delays.

I also want to thank you for your kind words. Please know that it's always a pleasure answering your questions.  

Looking forward to more of your questions, Hossein.

Best regards,

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed