English as a Second Language/Correct Sentences?

Question
QUESTION: Hi Amy,

How are you? I hope you are fine. It's been a long time I haven't asked any question. I would be glad to hear from you. Amy, can you please tell me that which of these sentences are correct? Can you please tell me the difference between "effected positively" and "affected positively," or difference between "positive affects" and "positive effects"?

1a) Apple is rarely available in our area but carries a lot of benefits.

1b) Apple is rarely available in our area, but carries a lot of benefits. (Comma before but)

2a) The medicine that herbalist gave had a positive affect on the patients.

2b) The medicine that herbalist gave had a positive effect on the patients.

3a) The medicine that herbalist gave affected positively.

3b) The medicine that herbalist gave effected positively.

4a) We love him because he protects us against our enemies.

4b) We love him, because he protects us against our enemies. (Comma before because)

5a) We enjoy eating candies and sweets, because many of them are tasty and flavored. (Comma before because)

5b) We enjoy eating candies and sweets because many of them are tasty and flavored.

ANSWER: Hi Den,

good to hear from you.

"effected positively" incorrect
and "affected positively," correct

"positive affects" incorrect
and "positive effects" correct

Affect and effect are words that many (native speakers and ESL speakers alike) have a difficult time with.

Affect is a verb. It means to produce a change in or influence something.
Effect is a noun that can also be used as a verb. It means a change that occurred.

1b) Apple is rarely available in our area, but carries a lot of benefits. (Comma before but)>>> this is the correct sentence

A comma should be placed before "but" only when "but" is at the beginning of an independent clause.

2b) The medicine that herbalist gave had a positive effect on the patients. >>> correct (again, effect is a noun).

3a) The medicine that herbalist gave affected positively. >>> correct (affect - verb)

4a) We love him because he protects us against our enemies. >>> correct

5b) We enjoy eating candies and sweets because many of them are tasty and flavored. >>> correct

here are two links that explains the proper use of commas before "because"

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-to-use-a-comma-before-be

http://www.writingwithclarity.com/2012/01/comma-uncertainty-when-to-use-it-befor

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,

Amy

QUESTION: Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I have just one concern.

In the sentence# 1, you said that 1b is the correct one.

Respected Amy, as we know that comma before but should only be place when joining two independent clauses. However, don't you think that "carries a lot of benefits" isn't an independent clause?

For example, if I write this sentence:

"Apple is a fruit that carries a lot of health benefits, but it is rarely available in our area."

Here we can see that I have joined two independent clauses: Apple is a fruit that carries a lot of health benefits + It is rarely available in our area.

We can even divide this sentence into two different sentences: Apple is a fruit that carries a lot of health benefits. It is rarely available in our area.

However, the sentence I mentioned in my question is different.

The sentence is: "Apple is rarely available in our area but carries a lot of health benefits."

This sentence can not be divided into two independent clauses.

Apple is rarely available in our area. Carries a lot of health benefits.

Respected Amy,

As we can see that this clause can not be divided into two clauses:-

Apple is rarely vailable in our area + Carries a lot of health benefits.

Therefore, kindly can you explain me why comma should be there? Should there be a comma because the next sentence (carries a lot of health benefits) is a sentence that carries an additional info?

Thanks a lot.

Answer
Hello Den,

I understand your concern.

In my opinion the two clauses you refer to are both independent:

Apple is rarely available in our area.

and

(Apple/it) carries a lot of benefits.

Both clauses make perfect sense on their own and you definitely don't need to know that apple is rarely available in the area when you say that "it carries a lot of benefits", or the other way around, thus both clauses are independent.

You even said it yourself when you rephrased the sentence:

<<<For example, if I write this sentence:
Here we can see that I have joined two independent clauses: Apple is a fruit that carries a lot of health benefits + It is rarely available in our area.>>>

I guess your confusion comes from the fact that in the original example the second sentence has an implied subject - this is something called "elipsis" in English.

I hope this makes sense for you.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker