English as a Second Language/meaning

QUESTION: Hello.Would you please tell me the meaning of the expression below?
"Given cloud over in many images"
Does it mean that the cloud is above the images or it means that there is no cloud in images.I am Sorry if the question is too simple.
And here is the rest of sentence in case it is needed : "as close as possible to the central calendar year, given cloud over in many images."

ANSWER: Hello Hamed,

please don't apologize for your question being too simple. I'd love to help you figure this out, but could you possibly get back to me with the entire sentence... I have the feeling that something in the first part of the sentence holds the clue to the part you're asking me to rephrase for you. (The more context you can give me the better.)

I'll get back to you as soon as I have the entire sentence.

Thank you for your understanding, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

QUESTION: Here is the rest of the sentence:
Giri et al.(2008) used more than 750 Landsat images to map tsunami-prone coastal areas of Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Burma (Myanmar), Bangladesh, India, and Sri Lanka.Imagery was centered on four different time periods (as close as possible to the central calendar year, given cloud over in many images): Mid-1970s, 1990, around 2000, and 2005.

And something more that i would be glad to here is about the word "Giri".I'm not sure if it is the name of a person or no.
Thank you in advance.

Thanks for getting back to me Hamed,

Indeed Giri is a person's name; Giri et al. (2008) refers to a book or an article that was published in 2008 by someone named Giri, in collaboration with a lot of others.

"given cloud over in many images"

this means that the satellite images may have been unclear sometimes due to the clouds interfering with the pictures. (The satellite being above the clouds, when it took pics of the Earth/ tsunami-prone areas of the countries listed, the clouds may have been in the way, thus making some of the pictures less clear.)

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed