English as a Second Language/RESENT - Ajectives/tense forms

Question
QUESTION: "Dear Brian,

Exercise (with key) from English for Starters 2 (Activity Book) by Simon Haines:

A
My brother is talented ... He is a mathematical genius but also has great musical ability. The whole family was "astonished" when he won the first prize ....
B
My sister was never able to do paint ... until a new a very skilful teacher arrived at the school. Since then, my sister's progress has been "amazing", and art has grown in popularity.....

My questions:
1. Why the adjective (ed form as adjective)"astonished" and not the adjective (present participle)"astonishing" is used in A?
2. Why the adjective (present participle) "amazing" and not the adjective (ed as adjective)"amazed" is used in B?

Of course, there are also confusions because the above words might be parts of the tense forms.

Kind regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Antoine,

The simple rule of thumb I tell all my students is this:

All things, living or non-, can be -ing.
Only living things can be -ed.
Living things are made -ed by living and non- which are -ing.

The movie is boring.
Tom is boring.

The movie is bored X
Tom is bored +

Tom was bored because the movie is boring.

You made things far more confusing than they really are by using grammar nomenclature reserved for verbs.

QUESTION: could you please clarify what you mean by "Living things are made -ed by living and non- which are -ing"? This is unclear to me. Thanks!

Answer

Brian is boring.
The book is boring.

Brian is living, the book is non-living.

Only living things can be -ed.

Brian is bored.
The book is bored. X

Brian is living, the book is non-living therefore, only Brian can be bored, not the book.

Brian was bored by the boring movie.
Brian was bored by the bored movie. X
Brian was boring by the boring movie. X
Brian was boring by the bored movie. X
The movie was bored by boring Brian. X
The movie was boring by bored Brian. X
The movie was boring by boring Brian. X

English as a Second Language

Christopher M Salisbury