English as a Second Language/few doubts again

Question
QUESTION: Hi it is Dev again

Question 1
Which one is the correct sentence

How much time is left

or

How much time has left

I was talking over the phone

or

I was talking on the phone

Question 2

We do not add s or es with the word that follows does.Is there an
exception.

Is it correct to say 'The vendor does rounds of the colony'

Question 3

Which is correct for Interviews.

I am Dev

My name is Dev

This is Dev

ANSWER: Hi Dev,

good to hear from you again.

Question 1
Which one is the correct sentence

How much time is left >>> correct
or
How much time has left >>> this doesn't make sense

I was talking over the phone >>> correct but infrequently used
or
I was talking on the phone >>> correct, and the most frequently used

Question 2

We do not add s or es with the word that follows does. Is there an exception?

The rule you have in mind refers to the present simple verb tense when we use the auxiliiary 'to do' and it refers to the verb that follows the auxiliary "to do" at the third person singular. For ex: "He does try his best" or "Does he try his best?"  vs "He tries his best" or  "She does work long hours." or "Does she work long hours?" vs "She  works long hours".

Is it correct to say 'The vendor does rounds of the colony' yes this is correct. 'rounds' here is a noun, so this has nothing to do with the rule above.

Question 3

Which is correct for Interviews.

I am Dev. >>> correct
My name is Dev >>> correct
This is Dev >>>> this is correct as well, but it depends on the context. It's typically used in phone conversation as an answer to questions like: Who am I speaking to? Or Can I please speak to Dev? Or "Who is this?" I wouldn't use it in an interview.

I hope this helps Dev.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Best,

QUESTION: Kindly give some examples of sentences in which the word followed by does carries s or es

and

which is of the following in correct

He was admitted to the hospital

or

He was admitted into the hospital.

I will be reaching by evening

I will be reaching in the evening

I will reach by evening.

ANSWER: Kindly give some examples of sentences in which the word followed by does carries s or es

He does kiss you every time he sees you, doesn't he?

The researcher does access the database at least once a month, so he needs that password.

He does business with his friend in Europe.

and

which is of the following in correct

He was admitted to the hospital >>> correct

or

He was admitted into the hospital.

I will be reaching by evening
I will be reaching in the evening
I will reach by evening.

None of these is correct as they are incomplete. You can say: "I will be reaching my destination in the evening" or "I will reach my destination in the evening", "I will reach my destination by tomorrow evening" or even "I will be reaching my destination by tomorrow evening".

Also you can replace "my destination" with "a conclusion' in any of my examples above: "I will reaxh a comclusion by tomorrow evening" etc.

I hope this helps Dev.

Best,

QUESTION: plz....you wrote...

i did not understand this

kindly explain again

Answer
Dev,

that's a rhetorical question. The person asking knows or implies the answer already; the answer is stated in the question, but he/she makes the comment or asks the question in order to state the obvious, or to emphasize a point. These arenít questions in the usual sense, they are more like statements in the form of a question.

The person who says "He does kiss you every time he sees you, doesn't he?" most likely knows or suspects that "he" kisses you every time he sees you" but is asking the question just to get confirmation that the information is correct.

Such questions require a simple yes or no answer, or an answer such as: "Yes he does" or "No he doesn't"

Let me know if this clarifies this for you.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker