English as a Second Language/Follow-up (countable and uncountable)

Question
QUESTION: Dear Jed,

You say the writer is free. But wouldn't it be better balancing if we use all words either in the plural form or the uncountable form, instead of plural plus uncountable?

Question
Dear Jed,

"Many salad crops are eproduced in this area. These include tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and strawbetrries".

I wonder why the writer did not put an "s" to lettuce, which (like the others) can be countable and uncountable.

By the why, can I say " I like tomato, cucumber, lettuce, apple, lemon", instead of "I like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, apples and lemons. I am not sure especially for 'cucumber' and "apple" because the Longman dictionary does not say whether 'apple' can be both countable and uncountable but says 'cucumber'  can be countable only.

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Dear Antoine,

In your first sentence, the speaker has completely free choice between uncountable 'lettuce' and plural 'lettuces'.  However, it is more common to use the uncountable version. We generally think of the salad food rather than the individual plants. For the other three, which we usually think of as individual fruits/vegetables, the plural form is more likely.

In your second sentence, we can use either the plural or the uncountable form for 'tomato'. We are more likely to use the uncountable form for 'cucumber'; when we are speaking of what we like, we think of the slices we eat rather than of the individual cucumbers. For the others, we would probably use the plural form. We use uncountable 'apple' mainly for the cooked version, and uncountable 'lemon' mainly for the flavour.

Note my use of the words 'generally', 'mainly', 'usually' 'likely' and 'probably'. There are no hard and fast rules here.

With best wishes,

ANSWER: Dear Antoine,

That's a matter of style rather than grammar.

Personally,I would stick with the original. It would appear to be more consistent to have all of them plural or all uncountable, but the writer has used them in what to me is the most natural way.

Best wishes,

Jed

QUESTION: Also, the others (tomatoes and cucumbers) are parts of the salad food. so why the writer used the plural form?

Answer
Dear Antoine,

If we have to choose between 'better balancing'  and natural writing, we really do have free choice. Certain styles are 'better' only in the opinion of self-appointed writers of style guides.  We speakers of British English tend to prefer what is natural to what some self-appointed 'expert' tells us we ought to use.

Jed

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb