English as a Second Language/Interested in + infinitive/gerund

Question
QUESTION: Dear Jed,

What is the difference in meaning between:

(1) I am interested to read 'Hamlet'.
and
(2) I am interested in reading 'Hamlet'.

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Hi, Antoine,

If we are talking about a wish to do something, we generally use 'in' plus the gerund:

"I am interested in reading Hamlet."

If we are talking about a wish to find out about something, we can use either form:

"I'm interested to know whether he enjoyed the film."
"I'm interested in knowing whether he enjoyed the film."

If we are talking about our reaction to something we have found out, we generally use the 'to-' infinitive:

"I'm interested to hear that you directed Hamlet once."

Best wishes,

Jed

QUESTION: Thanks, Jed! Then in my two examples I am now currently reading Hamlet but I wish to do so. Right?
What about "I love shopping in the mall" and " I love to shop in the mall". Is there any difference in meaning?
(Is the infinitive always refer to the future?)

Answer
Hi, Antoine,

Of your two sentences, only "I am interested in reading Hamlet" really works - a wish to do something in the future. If you are actually reading Hamlet now, I can't think of a natural way to use 'am interested to/in'.

With 'love/like/hate/etc', we have a different situation. There is not a great deal of difference between these verbs followed by an 'to-' infinitive or a gerund.  The more common gerund may suggest an enjoyment in general of the activity. The 'to-' infinitive may suggest a conscious choice:

"I like seeing my daughter every three months." - This gives me pleasure.
"I like to see my daughter every three months." - I have chosen to do this.

Best wishes,

Jed

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb