English as a Second Language/Proofreading

Question
Hi Jed,

I wrote these instructions about how to make tea:

"First, pour some water in the kettle. Next, place the kettle on the stove. Then put a tea bag in the kettle. Wait until the tea is brewed. After that, pour the tea into the cup. Finally, add some sugar and enjoy drinking."

Is there anything wrong?
- consequencing words (first ...)
- verb phrases (pour in or pour into - place in or into?)
- articles (the first sentence, should I say "a kettle", i.e. "First, pour some water in a kettle.?)
- punctuation

Thanks and best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Antoine,

not Jed, but Amy here, picked up your Q from the Q pool.

First, pour some water INTO the kettle. Next, place the kettle on the stove. Then put a tea bag INSIDE the kettle. Wait until the tea is brewed. After that, pour the tea into the cup. Finally, add some sugar and enjoy drinking.

- it's OK if you say "a kettle" in the first sentence as you're giving some general directions here, so you don't have a specific kettle in mind.
- pour water IN/INTO the/a kettle are all valid options, I changed your in to INTO as you're actually adding the water inside the kettle, so INTO makes more sense, but IN works as well
- everything else looks OK to me.

I hope this helps.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker