English as a Second Language/use of the and a

We use a in these sentences

(1)You should see a doctor, (2)I am a doctor, (3)he is a doctor but in saying 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'.

Plz explain when to you a and the with doctor.

ANSWER: Dear techno,

'Doctor' is like any other countable noun - the singular form nearly always requires an article. This is usually the indefinite article, unless we are referring to one already mentioned or known.

"I am a doctor"
"Fortunately, there was a doctor on the plane when my mother had a heart attack. The doctor managed to keep her alive until the plane landed."
"The infection is not clearing up. You need to see a doctor."
"I've had this pain for five days now. I need to see a/the doctor"
"You should see a doctor."

Your third sentence is incomplete, and makes no real sense as it stands.

With best wishes,

QUESTION: actually I wanted to ask that why we use 'a' with doctor in some cases and in the old saying ''an apple a day keeps the doctor away''.Why the doctor??

We sometimes use 'the' with a singular noun when we wish to talk about one example of a class, or about things in general:

"The cow was first domesticated over ten thousand years ago."
"The teacher should concentrate on the child, not on the examination."
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

There are other possibilities:

"Cows were first domesticated over ten thousand years ago."
"Teachers/A teacher should concentrate on children/the child, not on examinations/the examination."

It is grammatically possible to say "An apple a day keeps doctors away", but "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" has become a fixed expression nowadays. We could even say ""An apple a day keeps a doctor away", but we don't.

We often have personal choice in such situations, but not with phrases that have become fixed as sayings or proverbs.

Best wishes,

English as a Second Language

Jed Webb

I can assist with questions about English grammar (syntax, morphology, pronunciation and spelling)from learners taking such examinations as TOEFL, IELTS, FCE and CAE and other internationally recognised tests.

I have over forty years of experience in the teaching of modern languages, twenty-four of them in the Teaching of English as a Second Language. I have been an examiner for FCE, BEC and IELTS examinations, and a teacher trainer on courses leading to the Trinity College Certificate in TESOL.

The Philological Society The International Phonetic Association The College of Teachers The International Association of Teachers of EFL The Royal Society of Arts (Fellow)

British Journal of Language Teaching, Vol XIX Nos I and II Education Today, Vol 41, Nos 1 and 3 Co-Author: Nix and Webb (1984) 'Creative English', Bad Homburg: Verlag Gehlen Contributor: Nix and Riederer (1973), 'Bottoms Up', Bad Homburg: Verlag Gehlen Rosenau and Nix, (1979), 'Look it up', Bad Homburg: Verlag Gehlen Nix and Ringholz, 'English in Projects', Bad Homburg: Verlag Gehlen

BA (English), University of Durham. Qualified Teacher Status, UK Department of Education and Science Further and Adult Education Teacher's Certificate, City and Guilds of London Institute ACP(TESOL), College of Preceptors Dip TESOL, Trinity College, London Dip Ed (ELT), Exeter University ACP (Management Studies in Education), College of Teachers Certificate of Proficiency in the Phonetics of English, International Phonetic Association

I have taught: General and Business English classes for: Alcan, Allianz Versicherung, Robert Bosch, Daimler-Benz, Ford, Hewlett Packard, Kodak, Mövenpick, Radiomobil (O2), Siemens, Unilever. TOEFL and FCE classes for: eská Spoitelna,SOB, Czech Ministry of Trade, Czech Statistics Office.