English as a Second Language/English grammar

Question
Dear Amy, Why is conjunction FOR called a coordinating conjunction. I don't get it. As it appears to me, the clause starting with FOR gives a  reason which is the function of a subordinating conjunction. Will you elaborate on this? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Buddhi,

FOR is indeed a coordinating conjunction. It links two independent clauses. In other words, the sentence following the conjunction "for" has a meaning on its own, independent of the sentence it is preceded by.

Please see this link for some examples and more detailed explanations about coordinating and subordinating conjunctions:

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/coordinatingconjunction.htm

If you have a particular example in mind and you'd like to share it with me, I'd be more than happy to help you clarify it.

As always, I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker