English as a Second Language/present perfect

If I say " I have lived in france for ten years" does it mean that I am still living there?
How about this one? " I have been living in France for ten years"

Hi Nina!

Sorry for the very late response.  Thanks for your patience!

Since the tense used is the PRESENT perfect, yes, both sentences indicate that the speaker STILL lives in France.

The simple answer is that they are basically the same.  However, there is a certain context in which they may vary in terms of nuance.

If a person were currently living in Paris but was considering moving - in other words, not living there any more - in the forseeable future, the present perfect continuous - "I have been living in Paris" - would be inappropriate.  Instead, the present perfect simple - "I have lived in Paris" - would be used.

So we might say something like "I've lived in Paris for 10 years, it's time for me to go back home", but we would probably not say "I've been living in Paris for 10 years, it's time for me to go back home."

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly

I can answer pretty much any question a student might have about English; about grammar, vocabulary, meanings of words, phrases, expressions or idioms, pronunciation, etc. I can answer questions about how to learn or study English better, how to improve certain aspects of communication (listening, writing, speaking, etc), about why we have certain rules.

I've been teaching English in Japan, mainly as a private (one-to-one) teacher, but also at companies such as Universal Studios or international airports. I have taught professional interpreters and translators and I have also taught students who dropped out of high school and never learned any English. Several years ago I acquired the CELTA and I have been running my own classroom for the past year.

None in particular, but I work with a number of companies who regularly introduce me to new students and occasionally to other companies that are looking for English teachers.

I currently have approximately 40 individual students with whom I work one on one. I have also worked with local manufacturing companies, colleges, local retailers, as well as Sharp, Universal Studios, Itami International Airport, Kobe International Airport