English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Amy,
Hope all is well with you.
Could you please tell me if:

1. "kept falling" = "continued falling" or "avoid falling"?
2. "only to win" means the skater "just won" or "planned to win" the medals?
3."keep him finishing" mean "didn't let" or "did let"
4. "runner-up" = 2nd?

A famous skater won silver medals at the Olympic and World Championships, and after consulting a psychologist they came to the conclusion that he was scared of falling in the turns. In the next competitions, he kept falling in the turns, only to win all the gold medals the following year. He had been wasting one percent of his energy and concentration on not falling in the turns and that was enough to keep him finishing as the runner-up. On the other hand, whatís wrong with being a runner-up?

Many thanks

Answer
Hello Azad,

1. "kept falling" = "continued falling"

2. "only to win" means the skater "just won" the medals

3. "keep him finishing" means "allowed him to (continue the race) and finish (it)"

4. "runner-up" = 2nd

I hope this helps.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker