English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. The marketing strategy will determine how the company will perform in the future.
She is under the obligation of supporting her aged parents.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The marketing strategy will determine whether the company will be doing well”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “under the obligation” with “have the obligation” or “should”?

2. The characteristic Aries type has an impulsive and adventurous spirit.
Chatting is the best way to improve your language skills because you learn the language in a relaxed manner when you converse with others.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a good substitute for “characteristic”? “Typical “or “pure”?
(2.)    In the first, what is the difference if I change “an” to “the”?

3. Long established schools such as the 120-year-old University of Tokyo are highly rated.
A true friend doesn’t consider his gains and losses when he helps others.

(1.)    In the first does it mean the same if I say “schools with a long history such as…”?
(2.)    In the first, what is another way to say “highly rated”? “Highly ranked” or “highly respected”?

4. Can you be more specific about the person who robbed you last night?
The president’s approval rating has dropped to a new low because most people surveyed question his ability to resolve problems.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Can you describe more about the person…” or “Can you tell me more about the person…”?
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I change “resolve problems” to “solve problems”?

5.
It rained heavily for a week; in consequence, the flood occurred.
With a little preparation, it is not difficult to avoid the most dangerous consequences of typhoon.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The week-long heavy rain triggered the flood”?
(2.)    In the second, would it be a better choice if used “tragic” or “devastating “rather than “dangerous”?

6.
There are seventy-five people in the tour group and over one third of them will attend the convention.
Our contract will expire in six months.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I just say “Over one third of the 75 people in the tour group will attend the convention”?
(2.)    What could be a good substitute for “expire” in the second? “End” or “come to an end”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The marketing strategy will determine whether the company will be doing well”? yes (I'd add "in the future" to the sentence).
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “under the obligation” with “have the obligation” or “should”? yes
She has the obligation of supporting...
She should be supporting... (this doesn't quite imply obligation though). I's say "She must support ..."

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a good substitute for “characteristic”? “Typical “or “pure”? "typical"
(2.)    In the first, what is the difference if I change “an” to “the”? "the" would make no sense, so the sentence would be incorrect.

3. Long established schools, such as the 120-year-old University of Tokyo, are highly rated.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes (see commas I added to the first)
(1.)    In the first does it mean the same if I say “schools with a long history such as…”? yes
(2.)    In the first, what is another way to say “highly rated”? “Highly ranked” or “highly respected”? "highly ranked" is synonym with "highly rated"; "highly respected" doesn't imply a high rating/ranking

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes, but "questioned"
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Can you describe more about the person…” or “Can you tell me more about the person…”? Yes to "can you tell me more" (can you describe more doesn't sound natural)
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I change “resolve problems” to “solve problems”? none

5.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but " a typhoon"
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The week-long heavy rain triggered the flood”? yes, it's actually better than the original
(2.)    In the second, would it be a better choice if used “tragic” or “devastating “rather than “dangerous”? it depends on what you're trying to say.

6.
Our contract will expire in six months.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I just say “Over one third of the 75 people in the tour group will attend the convention”? yes
(2.)    What could be a good substitute for “expire” in the second? “End” or “come to an end”? either one is OK.

I hope this helps Oppo.

Best regards,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker